What is Krita?
Krita is a free and open-source digital painting application. Originally developed by Matthias Ettrich in 1999 as part of the KOffice suite, Krita has become one of the most popular tools for digital artists and illustrators. Some key features of Krita include support for custom brushes, perspective assistants, non-destructive layers and masks, and advanced color management.
Krita is designed for concept artists, illustrators, matte and texture artists, and VFX artists. It offers an intuitive and flexible interface as well as a large collection of brushes and tools. Krita continues to be actively developed with new features added through regular releases.
With its focus on digital painting, Krita fills an important niche and provides digital artists with a powerful yet accessible creation tool. Krita’s open-source nature also allows a community of users to contribute and help shape its ongoing development.
- Default file format is Krita’s native .kra format but also supports OpenRaster, PNG, JPEG, BMP, TIFF, PSD, and more
- Offers raster and vector drawing tools, along with painting, textures, vectors, and color management
- Customizable brushes with settings for size, shape, spacing, rotation, scattering, texture and more
- Customizable interface – The moveable docks and drag-and-drop toolbar allow artists to customize the interface to their workflows.
- Wide range of brushes – Krita comes bundled with over 100 preset brushes for different styles and also allows artists to create custom brushes.
- Non-destructive layers and masks – Layers and masks in Krita are non-destructive, allowing for flexibility in the creative process.
- Limited support for printing – Options for directly printing artwork from Krita are currently limited.
- Minimal vector tools – While Krita offers some vector capabilities, these are fairly basic compared to specialized vector programs.
- No CMYK colorspace support – Krita works in RGB colorspace only, lacking native CMYK support needed for print design work.
- Improved brush engine for better performance
- New assistant tool presets
- Improved color selector docker
- New pixel art docker for indexing colors
- New recording docker for creating tutorials
- OS: Windows 10, Mac OSX 10.15, Linux kernel 5.4 or later
- CPU: Intel i5 or better, AMD Ryzen 5 or better
- RAM: 8GB or more
- Storage: 2GB free space
How to download latest version
Short step by step guide about How to download latest version Krita
On the downloads page, select your operating system from the buttons shown – Windows, Linux, or MacOS.
Scroll down to find the latest stable release of Krita for your OS and click the download button.
Save the downloaded installation file to your computer.
Programs Similar to Krita
- Corel Painter – Simulates natural media brushes. Popular for digital illustration but has fewer features than Krita. Proprietary paid software.
- Clip Studio Paint – Specialized for comic and manga art. Proprietary paid software.
- MyPaint – Free and open source painting program focused on custom brushes. More limited features compared to Krita.
- GIMP – Free and open source raster graphics editor. Not focused on painting but has basic painting tools.
A: Krita supports opening and saving in many file formats including Krita’s native KRA, as well as JPEG, PNG, PSD, SVG, TIFF, BMP and more. It uses OpenRaster as its default file format.
A: Yes, Krita has built-in support for graphics tablets like Wacom and Huion. Tablets help improve control and workflow when painting digitally in Krita.
A: Yes, Krita is licensed under GPL and all artworks created in Krita can be used commercially. Krita is used professionally by concept artists, illustrators, texture artists, and VFX painters.
In conclusion, Krita for windows is a comprehensive and free program that can be downloaded automatically as an alternative to Adobe Photoshop. It is available for Windows and offers a platform where users can edit images, create digital art, and retouch photos. Krita’s language is user-friendly, making it accessible for beginners and professionals alike.
The app provides a variety of features, including a wide range of brushes and a color palette similar to Adobe Photoshop. Users can create strokes on the canvas and apply filters to enhance their artwork. Krita download also offers automatic updates, ensuring that users always have the latest improvements and features.
Additionally, users can confirm their edits by utilizing various templates and palettes available in the program. Overall, Krita is a recommendable program for anyone looking to explore digital art and image editing.